Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Why I am thankful for rhet/comp

I just want to iterate something here that I wrote to Kirsti as a response to the Feminist Workshop. Last year around this time I went to the annual Feminist Workshop at Duke University, which I found incredibly alienating. How strange to walk into a huge room full of women and not feel that it was a "safe space" (thank you, Jessica and Lisa, for the film that brought out this attention to the affect of particular spaces) at all. In contrast, I found at the CCCC Feminist Workshop the kind of engagement and support that can truly benefit feminism and our efforts to achieve . . . what? better conditions for all human beings, basically--in a way that the academic posturing and negative criticism I witnessed last year cannot. Thank you all for inspiring me!

2 comments:

T J Geiger II said...

Ali, I agree with you about the "encouragement and support" offered by all at the 4Cs Feminist Workshop (FW). This experience, as you point out, is due in no small part to the fact that the assembled group was both feminist and rhet/comp-orieneted (save for the wonderful Kool Dames). Our ethic is a collaborative one; we write realities together in professional journals, in graduate courses, in community with our students in order to right realities.

franny glass said...

Ali, I wanted to echo your sentiments about the workshop this year. While I was excited about partcipating, and the workshop itself, I've been thinking about it non-stop since coming back here to Austin. I found the workshop to be inspiring in ways both concrete (this is how you can do this) and general (here are the awesome projects being conceived of and made by your colleagues). I, too, enjoyed the workshop immensely, and can't wait for next year's.